OpenCitations , the EXCITE Project  and Europe PubMed Central  are pleased to announce a Workshop on Open Citations at the University of Bologna in Bologna, Italy  on 3-5 September – https://workshop-oc.github.io.
Format and topics
- Day One and Day Two: Formal presentations and discussions on the creation, availability, uses and applications of open bibliographic citations, and of bibliometric studies based upon them. This will involve both invited and contributed presentations.
- Day Three: A Hack Day on Open Citations to see what services can be prototyped using large volumes of open citation data.
We look forward to welcoming all those interested in open citation data, including researchers, computer scientists, scholarly publishers, academic administrators, research funders and policy makers. The workshop will be organised around the following topics:
- Opening up citations: Initiatives, collaborations, methods and approaches for the creation of open access to bibliographic citations.
- Policies and funding: Strategies, policies and mandates for promoting open access to citations, and transparency and reproducibility of research and research evaluation.
- Publishers and learned societies: Approaches to, benefits of, and issues surrounding the deposit, distribution, and services for open bibliographic metadata and citations.
- Projects: Metrics, visualizations and other projects. The uses and applications of open citations, and bibliometric analyses and metrics based upon them
If you would like to participate in this event, please enter your details and a mini-biography at https://bit.ly/2JEd0r9.
If additionally you would like to speak at this event, please select the session your talk would fit in, and provide a title and abstract for your talk. Selected submissions will involve either a talk of 10 minute duration, with a 5 minute discussion following, or a poster presentation.
The deadline for application and submission of these details is the 20th of May 2018. Notifications of acceptance will be sent to you by the 1st of June. In case of oversubscriptions, the organisers will select speakers and attendees from among those have applied.
Please circulate this invitation to any colleagues that you think might be interested in attending this workshop.
Fees and expenses
For those accepted, we request a small registration fee of €100 to cover expenses (€25 for students), which must be paid by the 15th of July 2018, but which will be waived in cases of financial hardship. Details of how to pay will be sent to those accepted. Registration for the Hack Day is free of charge.
Those attending will be expected to cover the cost of their own travel and accommodation. We will provide a list of recommended hotels and guest houses. We will provide lunches and refreshments on all days, and a free workshop dinner on Monday 3rd September.
David Shotton (OpenCitations)
Jo McEntyre (Europe PMC)
Maria Levchenko (Europe PMC)
Marilena Daquino (University of Bologna)
Philipp Mayr (EXCITE project)
Silvio Peroni (OpenCitations)
Steffen Staab (EXCITE project)
 OpenCitations – http://opencitations.net
 EXCITE Project – http://west.uni-koblenz.de/en/research/excite
 Europe PMC – https://europepmc.org/About
 University of Bologna – http://www.unibo.it/en/homepage
Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/workshop_oc.